Eagle Hose Co. No. 2
|Nyack Fire Department|
|Address||68 Main Street, Nyack|
|Disbanded||December 6, 1883|
The following history is an excerpt from The Journal News ("Orangetown Engine Co., County's Oldest Fire Unit, Will Observe 100th Anniversary in October", July 12, 1934):
Eagle Hose Company, had been chartered in 1877 and its membership was made up of young men, eager firemen who had made an excellent record. The members of Orangetown Fire Co began to think of new apparatus, but felt that their age would preclude any such possibility. So, In the Spring of 1883, a delegation of Orangetown members attended a meeting of Eagle Hose Company and made a proposition for the disbandment of the latter company and a merger of the two organizations. Eagle officers promised that they would hold a special meeting to decide the question.
The promise was made good, despite the fact that in the meantime, members of Mazeppa Engine Co became aware of the intended action and invited the Eagle members to join with them. Eagle was an independent company, housed In Mazeppa’a headquarters, but at the special meeting the company decided to disband and merge with Orangetown.
On December 6, 1883, the merger was consummated and 20 members of Eagle Hose Company became members of Orangetown Engine Company, bringing the total membership of the latter to 40, half of whom were eager and earnest young men.